- Do you feel anger, confusion or a sense of hopelessness and helplessness?
- Do you have trouble sleeping or do you sleep too much?
- Have you lost interest in activities and people?
- Do you lack a sense of pleasure in life?
The Mayo Clinic defines depression as “a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest.” There are different types of depression that can range from feelings of sadness to feeling of helplessness and hopelessness. Some people experience more symptoms than others and the severity of symptoms can vary over time.
What are some signs of depression?
Depression can affect anyone, men and women, children and the elderly. Signs of depression include:
- Sadness or empty feelings
- Loss of interest or pleasure
- Fatigue or insomnia
- Loss or increase in appetite
- Difficulty concentrating
While sadness over the death of a loved one, divorce or job loss can cause a change in mood, depression is different. Depression can interfere with your ability to function or to feel pleasure and actively participate in relationships. Often depression includes loss of self-esteem, disruption in family functioning and work productivity. Depression also changes how one feels and thinks and usually affects behavior. Some people who suffer from depression report having always felt depressed.
Therapy – Reduce and Manage Symptoms of Depression
Psychotherapy is effective in reducing and managing the symptoms of depression. Depending on the severity of your depression, antidepressant medication may also be recommended for you. Your therapist can help you:
- Explore the unrealistic expectations about your life and your environment
- Change negative views of the world and of yourself
- Address feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
- Understand how others affect you
- Prioritize which problems are critical and which are not
- Help identify what can be changed in your life
- Learn coping skills to lessen self-criticism
- Develop the skills and behaviors to reduce or alleviate the stressors that contribute to the depression
- Foster an improvement in social skills
- Support and understand you and your problems
Contact CPS – Arrange an Appointment Today
When you are suffering from the negative effects of depression, job stress or loneliness, call our Encino office Call (818) 907-7974. Schedule an appointment with one of our expert therapists. Find out how our affordable counseling services can help you lead to a richer, healthier, life and nurturing relationships.
Call 818-907-7974 today. Schedule an appointment with a trained psychotherapist. We understand your need for help and will answer your call within 24 hours.